About the group
The research group was founded in the beginning of 2023, and aims at coordinating and developing research projects which focus on pediatric neurosurgery.
Even though pediatric neurosurgery per definition is limited to patients under the age of 18, this particular part of neurosurgery still covers the whole range of the field; from congenital malformations of the central nervous system to vascular and spinal issues - in particular issues related to cerebrospinal fluid circulation and brain tumors in children.
From a clinical perspective we have a particular focus on these areas:
- Pediatric neurooncology; in cooperation with departments of pediatrics and oncology, as well as Vilhelm Magnus Laboratory
- Craniofacial surgery; in collaboration with the Norwegian National Unit for Craniofacial Surgery, OUH
- CSF circulation, including pediatric hydrocephalus, arachnoidal cysts and Chiari-malformation; in cooperation with Neurovascular & Cerebrospinal Fluid Research Group
- Cerebrovascular neurosurgery, including arteriovenous malformation, aneurysms, moyamoya disease
- Spinal dysraphism
Since pediatric neurosurgery covers the whole field of neurosurgery, the group is to a large extent multidisciplinary, and aims at projects with other research groups at UiO and OUH.
It is, at the same time, vital to build and strengthen relations with international actors within the field - by actively participate in international clinical research projects and by developing networks for the various conditions within pediatric neurosurgery.
Among others, this applies for projects organized by the following organizations:
- European Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery ESPN
- International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery ISPN
- European Association of Neurosurgical Societies; Pediatric section
- International Society of Paediatric Oncology
- Nordic Pediatric Neurosurgical Oncology Society