Important Scientific milestones in 2017:
- A randomized prospective study of focal HIFU treatment of prostate cancer was started (Focal prostate Ablation versus Radical Prostatectomy)
- Kirsti Aas was accepted as a PhD student at UiO. The project is “CURATIVE TREATMENT AND SURVIVAL OF PATIENTS WITH NON-METASTATIC PROSTATE CANCER IN NORWAY 2001-2015” and Viktor Berge is principle supervisor
- The collaboration with Almac/Queens University, Belfast, GB, provided our research group with raw gene expression data generated by Almac by profiling the research material by Almac Array. The generation of these raw data is an expensive process and our group received it without costs, for further research by our molecular biologists and biostatisticians
Doctoral degrees in 2017:
- Sigrun Dahl defended her thesis “Curative Treatment of Prostate Cancer and Workforce Participation” at the Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Oslo, January 20, 2017
Awards, distinctions etc. in 2017:
Peder Braadland received an award for best abstract at The Norwegian Surgical Fall Meeting in Oslo 2017. (Braadland PR, Giskeødegård G, Sandsmark E, Bertilsson H, Svindland A, Eri LM, Nygård S, Berge V, Tasken KA, Tessem MB. Metabolske fingeravtrykk av prostatakreftvev predikerer recidiverende sykdom etter radikal prostatektomi. Vitenskapelige Forhandlinger abstrakt 54, Kirurgisk høstmøte 2017)
Kirsti Aas won the prize for best unmoderated poster at EMUC (European Multidisiplinary Meeting on Urological Cancer) congress in Barcelona, November, 2017. http://emuc17.org/emuc17-best-unmoderated-posters-prostate-cancer-research/
Eduard Baco and Erik Rud received award (Kirurgens pris 2017) for best paper in Kirurgen (Journal published by the Norwegian Surgical Society)
Innovations / Innovation projects in 2017:
- In 2017 Department of Urology acquired the new High Intensity Focal Ultrasound (HIFU) machine Focal One from EDAP for focal treatment of prostate cancer. The FARP study was launched where patients are randomized between robotic surgery and focal HIFU treatment
- Development of a new urinary biomarker for prostate cancer (“Urinary exosome test for improved prostate cancer management (254836/O70”) is progressing according to plan under the supervision of Invent2.
Short bullet point self-assessment of the group’s strengths and improvement areas/points
- An excellent register and biobank
- A large volume of prostate cancer patients in all stages are treated with various treatment modalities at the hospital
- A large research community represented by Institute of Cancer research and Institute for Cancer Genetics and Informatics which offer a great opportunity for collaboration
- A wide national and international network
- More clinicians should take part in research: The leadership of KIT and Department of urology should allocate more time to research for clinicians who are engaged in research activity
- More residents should be encouraged to devote time to research via special positions dedicated to research
- Development of a Prostate Center where all treatment modalities are represented in close vicinity to Institute of Cancer research, Cancer Registry of Norway, Department of pathology and Institute for Cancer Genetics and Informatics, will boost and encourage the research activity in our group
Popular scientific contributions (newspaper/magazine chronicles, blog-posts, open lectures etc.):
- Wolfgang Lilleby: Lovende resultater fra norsk prostatakreft-vaksine. De første publiserte resultatene fra en norskutviklet vaksine mot prostatakreft viser at godt over åtte av ti har en immunrespons. Published in Dagens Medisin: 2017-05-04. https://www.dagensmedisin.no/artikler/2017/05/04/lovende-resultater-fra-norsk-prostatakreft-vaksine/
- Lars-Magne Eri. Review of the book by Volker Wittkamp «Ett skritt foran Alt om mannens underliv» i Tidskrift for Den Norske Legeforening. 28.11.2017. http://tidsskriftet.no/profil/lars-magne-eri-0
3 most important publications from the two last years (2017 and 2016):
- Ten-year Mortality in Men With Nonmetastatic Prostate Cancer in Norway. Aas K, Axcrona K, Kvåle R, Møller B, Myklebust TÅ, Axcrona U, Berge V, Fosså SD. Urology. 2017 Dec;110:140-147. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2017.07.048. Epub 2017 Aug 18.
- Molecular Subgroup of Primary Prostate Cancer Presenting with Metastatic Biology. Walker SM, Knight LA, McCavigan AM, Logan GE, Berge V, Sherif A, Pandha H, Warren AY, Davidson C, Uprichard A, Blayney JK, Price B, Jellema GL, Steele CJ, Svindland A, McDade SS, Eden CG, Foster C, Mills IG, Neal DE, Mason MD, Kay EW, Waugh DJ, Harkin DP, Watson RW, Clarke NW, Kennedy RD. Eur Urol. 2017 Oct;72(4):509-518. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2017.03.027. Epub 2017 Apr 10.
- Switching from laparoscopic radical prostatectomy to robot assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy: comparing oncological outcomes and complications. Johnson I, Ottosson F, Diep LM, Berg RE, Hoff JR, Wessel N, Eri LM, Berge V. Scand J Urol. 2018 Jan 15:1-6. doi: 10.1080/21681805.2017.1420099. [Epub ahead of print]
- Baco E, Rud E, Eri LM, Moen G, Vlatkovic L, Svindland A, Eggesbø HB, Ukimura O A Randomized Controlled Trial To Assess and Compare the Outcomes of Two-core Prostate Biopsy Guided by Fused Magnetic Resonance and Transrectal Ultrasound Images and Traditional 12-core Systematic Biopsy. Eur Urol. 2016 Jan;69(1):149-56.
- Fatigue and other adverse effects in men treated by pelvic radiation and long-term androgen deprivation for locally advanced prostate cancer. Lilleby W, Stensvold A, Dahl AA. Acta Oncol. 2016 Jul;55(7):807-13. doi: 10.3109/0284186X.2015.1127417.
- Lowβ₂-adrenergic receptor level may promote development of castration resistant prostate cancer and altered steroid metabolism. Braadland PR, Grytli HH, Ramberg H, Katz B, Kellman R, Gauthier-Landry L, Fazli L, Krobert KA, Wang W, Levy FO, Bjartell A, Berge V, Rennie PS, Mellgren G, Mælandsmo GM, Svindland A, Barbier O, Taskén KA. Oncotarget. 2016 Jan 12;7(2):1878-94. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.6479