Being the largest hospital in Norway, Oslo University Hospital provides highly specialized health care services to the citizens of Oslo and the South-East Health Region. In addition, the Hospital has a nationwide responsibility for a number of national and multi-regional assignments.
The Division of Orthopaedic Surgery is one of twelve medical divisions. It encompasses the fields of orthoppaedic traumatology, hand surgery including retransplant surgery, prosthetic surgery, oncology surgery, spinal surgery, scoliosis surgery, pediatric surgery and arthroscopic surgery.
The proximity to patients and their medical issues are the cornerstones for the research conducted at our Division
and is aimed at improving patient care. High ethical standards ensure the confidentiality, and our goal is to
continuously improve diagnostics, treatment and management for all our patients.
Research activity at the Division of Orthopaedic Surgery (OPK)
The Division’s research activity is organized into 10 different research groups covering a broad range of basic
and clinical research with an overall aim to improve patient care with emphasis on diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive measures. Most group leaders have a combined position at Oslo University Hospital and the
University of Oslo.
In total the Division has 11 Professors, 2 Associate Professors, postdoctoral fellowships, several PhD students
and administrative and technical staff. The Division has an advisory research board that in 2016 consisted of:
Professor Lars Nordsletten, Professor Olav Røise, Professor Jan Erik Madsen, Professor Lars Engebretsen, Professor Harald Steen, Professor Inger Holm, Professor May Arna Risberg, Professor Ivan Hvid, Consultant Olga
Zaikova and Reseach Nurse and Assistant Administrative Manager Kari Anne Hakestad.
Research group overview: (under construction)
- CIRRO - Center for Implant and Radiostereometric Research Oslo
- Osteoarthritis Research Group - Lars Nordsletten
- Pediatric Orthopaedics - Ivan Hvid
- Biomechanical laboratory - Harald Steen
- Center for Implant and Radiostereometric Research - CIRRO - Stephan Röhrl
- Hand - Magne Røkkum
- Norwegian research center for Active Rehabilitation - NAR - May Arna Risberg
- Oncologic Orthopedics - Olga Zaikova
- Orhtopaedic traumatology - Jan Erik Madsen
- Oslo Sports Trauma Research Center - OSTRC - Lars Engebretsen
- Research group SPINE - Christin Hellum