Here you will find Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for writing proposals. The main goal of the FAQ is to help you writing the proposal text. It is biased towards questions for the Horizon 2020 thematic program. However it can be used for all kinds of proposals and most of the text is general. In the future we will provide more specific questions related to different funding bodies and funding schemes.
This FAQ does not substitute templates, call texts or instructions given for the specific call you write the proposal for. Always read all information given for your call again and again. Every word and sentence in the call text will give you essential information for writing your proposal.
Remember: You are the author. You are going to write a good, consistent story that will give you funding. From your idea to the use of your results there should be a coherent story about excellent science, its impact and the implementation of the project.
If you are writing for individual grants, national programs or other you may need to adapt some of the FAQ answerers to your scheme. But still there should be a lot of useful knowledge and inspiration for you here.
The FAQ is written by Asbjørn Rune Ousland at the OUS Research Support team. We will develop and maintain the FAQ list. Any feedback and suggestions are welcome to the author at email@example.com.
All rights to the FAQ text belongs to the author. Any use or transfer of the text outside Oslo University Hospital should be agreed with the author in advance.
- Why should I listen to your advice?
- Do I have a good project idea?
- Does my idea fit into the call?
- Why is the first sentence so important?
- How do I use the template?
- How to understand the proposal logic?
- Where do I ask for funding?
- How can I improve my text by using the right words?
- How do I write objectives?
- What is the difference between aim, goal and objective?
- Are all applicants honest?
- How to become a partner or finding partners for a project?
- What do I say about SoA and beyond?
- What about methods?
- What is TRL?
- What is innovation?
- How do I write a business plan?
- What is the difference between dissemination, use and communication?
- What does it mean: The overall structure of the work plan?
- How do I organise the project work?
- How do I write a work plan?
- How do I write the deliverables and the results?
- Why do I need a work package on management and a work package on innovation related activities?
- What is a milestone?
- What is a risk plan?
- Why are standards important?
- How do I manage my project?
- How to I set up the budget?
- Who are the users - user input?
- How do I describe my project partners?
- How do we share ownership to project results?
- What is background?
- What are access rights?
- Is the evaluation fair?
- Which contract should I use?
- How do I read and modify contracts?
- Why is it important to consider IP in H2020?
- What is the difference between GA and CA?
- Can I risk that information in my proposal goes public?
- What happens in the project and what happens after the project?
- Is it smart to use an external consultancy company to write my proposal?
- Do I have to follow your recommendations?
- How can I budget clinical trials?
- How do I manage the proposal writing?
- Do I need SME partners in my project?
- How to become an expert evaluator?
- Why do I need to go into such detail?
- What do I write about impact?
- Should I resubmit my proposal?
- How new must the idea be?
- What verbs should I use? New!
- Why you should not use synonyms as in fiction? New!
- Should I or we appear in the text? New!
- Why do they not understand what I am writing? New!
- Why is sex and gender so important? New!