The Mesenchymal Biology and Oncogenesis Group studies how mesenchymal cells differentiate and how these processes may be deranged in cancer. Studies are partly carried out in immortalised normal mesenchymal stem-like cells derived from bone marrow (MSC), and partly in cell lines derived from tow types of mesenchymal cancer, osteo- and liposarcomas. We have made our own immortalised MSC line, iMSC#3, which can differentiate in vitro towards adipocytes and osteocytes, the cell type the lipo- and osteosarcoma resemble. Our projects that relate to the Stem Cell Centre concern three issues:
1. How stem cell fates and MSC functions are regulated by the balance of Let-7 microRNAs and the architectural transcription factor HMGA2 (Marianne Stabell, Åshild Breivik, Russell Castro)
2. How microRNAs regulate mesenchymal differentiation (Magne Skårn, Heidi Namløs, Leonardo Meza-Zepeda)
3. Epigenetic regulation of osteogenic differentiation of MSCs (Anne-Mari Håkelien, Susanne Lorentz, Eivind Valen Egeland, Leonardo Meza-Zepeda )
In addition we have a number of related projects that focus more on the cancer side, most of which are part of the Cancer Stem Cell Innovation Centre [link to cancerstemcell.no] , where Myklebost in Assistant Director.
We are also running the core facility for microarray and sequencing [link to http://core.rr-research.no/index.php?section=8] supported by grants from UiO, FUGE and Helse SørØst.
The group is localised at the Institute for Cancer Research, where we have a more extensive presentation [link to kreftforskning.no/myklebost] .
1. Herz J, Hamann U, Rogne S, Myklebost O , Gausepohl H, Stanley KK ( 1988 ) Surface location and high affinity for calcium of a 500 kDa liver membrane protein closely related to the LDL-recptor suggest a physiological role as lipoprotein receptor. EMBO J 7:4119-4127
- Berner J-M, Meza-Zepeda LA, Kools PFJ, Forus A, Schoenmakers EFPM, Van de Ven WJM, Fodstad Ø, Myklebost O . ( 1997 ) HMGIC, the gene for an architectural transcription factor, is amplified and rearranged in a subset of human sarcomas. Oncogene 14:2935-2941
- Meza-Zepeda LA, Berner JM , South A, Henriksen J, Dahlberg AB, Godager LH , Pedeutour F, Nizetic D, Forus A, Myklebost O ( 2001 ) Characterisation of ectopic sequences from tumour-associated, truncated HMGIC genes shows recurrent involvement of specific chromosomal regions. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 31: 264-73
- Tovar C, Rosinski J, Filipovic Z, Higgins B, Kolinsky K, Hilton H, Zhao X, Vu BT, Qing W, Packman K, Myklebost O , Heimbrook DC, Vassilev LT ( 2006 ) Small-molecule MDM2 antagonists reveal aberrant p53 signaling in cancer: implications for therapy Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103:1888-93
- The MAQC Consortium [including Myklebost O ] ( 2006 ) The MicroArray Quality Control (MAQC) project shows inter- and intraplatform reproducibility of gene expression measurements Nature Biotech 24: pp1151 - 1161
- Meza-Zepeda LA , Noer A, Dahl JA, Micci F, Myklebost O , Collas P ( 2008 ) High-resolution analysis of genetic stability of human adipose tissue stem cells cultured to senescence. J Cell Mol Med 12:553-63
- Lehne G, Grasmo-Wendler UH , Berner JM , Meza-Zepeda LA , Adamsen BL, Flack A, Reiner A, Clausen OPF, Hovig E, Myklebost O ( 2009 ) Upregulation of stem cell genes in multidrug resistant K562 leukemia cells Leukemia Res 33:1379-85
- Tenstad E , Tourovskaia A, Folch A, Myklebost O , Rian E ( 2010 ) Extensive adipogenic and osteogenic differentiation of patterned human mesenchymal stem cells in a microfluidic device. Lab on a Chip 10, 1401-1409
- Eide MB, Liestøl K, Lingjærde OC, Hystad M, Kresse SH, Meza-Zepeda L, Myklebost O , Aamot HV, Holte H, Smeland EB, Delabie J ( 2010 ) DNA copy number alterations reveal potential for higher grade transformation in Follicular lymphoma and confirm parallel evolution of tumor cell clones. Blood 116:1489-97
- Henriksen J, Stabell M, Meza-Zepeda LA, Lauvrak SAU , Kassem M, Myklebost O ( 2010 ) Identification of target genes for wild type and truncated HMGA2 in mesenchymal stem-like cells BMC Cancer , 10:329