Within the hospital close co-operation on research activities exists with many departments: Department of Tumor Biology.
Department of Genetics
- By DNA microarray gene expression and chromosome structure are studied. The research focus on discovering new classifications, to predict chemotherapy effect and resistance mechanisms.
- Studies of liposarcomas by spesific ligands for PPAR-gamma in xenographt.
- Microscopic disease in ostosarcoma: Immunomagnetic isolation of tumor cells present in peripheral blood and bone marrow aspirates in osteosarcoma patients, useful as diagnostic and prognostic tool in the management of osteosarcoma.
Clinical Stem Cell Laboratory
- Cytogenetic analyses serves as a diagnostic marker for many subtypes of sarcoma and translocation studies are ongoing.
- Analyses of the influence of SNP`s on response and toxic effect of cytostatic drugs.
Department of Nuclear Medicine
- Ex vivo expansion of hematopoietic progenitor cells to alleviate thrombocytopenia following high-dose chemotherapy for higly malignant sarcoma of bone.
Section of Clinical pharmacology, Centrallaboratory
- Targeted internal radionuclide treatment employing 153-Samarium-EDTMP for advanced bone sarcoma (clinical phase II study)
Department of Radiology
- Studies of pharmacokinetics and markers indicating toxic effect of cytostatic drugs in osteosarcoma patients.
Department of Pathology
- Evaluation of response by MRI in Ewing sarcoma.
Rehabilitation Center, Kysthospitalet, Stavern
- Studies of pathology, radiology and clinical history in patients with radiation induced sarcoma
Institute of Nutritional Research, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo
- Formal co-operation has been established in order to increase the knowledge of the effect of rehabilitation on patients with serious function defects.
Ongoing research projects for two doctoral fellows (in collaboration with SSG)
- The expression of retinoid binding proteins in sarcomas.
- Quality of life and long term morbidity among survivors after multimodal treatment for Ewing`s sarcoma and osteosarcoma
- A study of prognostic factors in osteosarcoma
- Genetic factors determining chemosensitivity and –resistance in bone and soft tissue sarcoma.